The HP Barcelona site is the headquarters for the Multi Jet Fusion (plastics) and Metal Jet (metals) 3D Printing Solutions businesses with responsibility for research and development (R&D), operations, and marketing.
The 3D Printing R&D Mechanical Engineer will join the innovative and highly qualified multi-disciplinary R&D team located in Barcelona with strong collaboration and joint working with HP´s diverse technical / R&D groups and manufacturing partners worldwide. He / she will provide talented, enthusiastic, and rigorous mechanical / system design and development expertise to deliver innovative and whole system solutions for 3D Printing platforms and products, working in a fast-paced and highly collaborative cross-functional environment. This is a very exciting opportunity to join a keen and dynamic international team inventing the additive manufacturing future!
We’re looking for a R&D Mechanical Engineer for our 3D Printing team!
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Designs and develops innovative robust engineering system solutions for mechanical / thermal hardware systems, including manufacturing and production aspects (DFM), based on established engineering principles and in accordance with the business development technology practices and guidelines.
- Develops, defines, and implements (hands-on) appropriate performance parameters and characterisation / test plans, including validation of tolerances, form/fit/function, shock and vibration, electromagnetic interference, safety, reliability, acoustics etc.
- Delivers high quality design and test documentation and reports, assists in knowledge capture and sharing across the project and program teams, and the 3D team in general
- Collaborates and communicates with management, internal and outsourced development partners regarding design status, project progress, and issue resolution
- As needed, may lead task forces / project teams of other engineers and internal and outsourced partners to develop reliable, cost effective and high-quality solutions for fast go to market
- Represents the team values and is a role model for cohesive team working and liaison across the diverse groups and worldwide locations in HP 3D Printing
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced staff members.
Knowledge and Skills:
- High level in fundamentals of mechanical engineering including control systems, statistics, tolerance analysis, solid mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including use of technical modelling and optimisation design tools (CAE) for mechanical and thermal / fluidic systems
- Design of mechatronic / mechanical systems and components with materials selection / production processes / tooling (subtractive & additive). Application of manufacturing capability processes (Cp, Cpk etc.)
- Experience in the application of architecture, design and problem solving tools such as design optimisation and selection methodologies and root cause analysis etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and joint working skills both at direct team and management levels. Comfortable with, and keen to fully contribute in an exciting, dynamic, and diverse international environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English and ideally local language (with the commitment to learn and develop).
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s and/or preferably Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 4-6 years’ experience in the design and development of complex technical products and systems in a multi-discipline team environment
- Completion of at least one new product development cycle from concept through design, development and industrialisation to market introduction
- Expert level ME design use of 3D CAD software (Pro Engineer, SolidWorks, PTC Creo, etc.)
- Experience of application of appropriate manufacturing and component sourcing methods and technology as an integral part of the system design process.
- Digital printing industry (2D and/or 3D) design and development / industrialisation
- Skilled level use of programming languages (such as Python) and scripting etc.
- Experience and skills in practical use of data analytics and processing methodologies to assist in diagnostics and design performance feedback.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work in an international organization with colleagues coming from all over the world.
- Diverse, continued internal growth and career opportunities. Including HP’s own learning platform and LinkedIn Learning.
- An attractive benefit package
- Women, Multicultural, Pride, Young employees, Sustainability and DisAbility! Just a few of our fantastic global business networks you can get involved with locally.
- We also dedicate time and resources to contribute with our community through Corporate Volunteering activities, including our onsite HP Charity day
You’re out to reimagine and reinvent what’s possible—in your career as well as the world around you. So are we. We love taking on tough challenges, disrupting the status quo, and creating what’s next. We’re in search of talented people who are inspired by big challenges, driven to learn and grow, and dedicated to making a meaningful difference.
HP is a technology company that operates in more than 170 countries around the world united in creating technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere.
Our history: HP’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion – it’s just who we are. From the boardroom to factory floor, we create a culture where everyone is respected and where people can be themselves, while being a part of something bigger than themselves. We celebrate the notion that you can belong at HP and bring your authentic self to work each and every day. When you do that, you’re more innovative and that helps grow our bottom line. Come to HP and thrive!
Administration of the project